Ornery Music


Monday, September 15, 2008

Simple Man


I saw this poster and I want to know if it is true. Please answer yes or no in the comment section and have a nice day. Also, if I am a "simple kind of man" does that make me a simpleton?

Anyway, Lynyrd Skynyrd rocks and you should really listen to that first song on my playlist. In fact, if you want to have a classic rock kind of day you should listen to the entire list. You can open a new browser window and keep on surfing while you listen. The playlist is very incomplete, and a little sporadic. I mean Barry Manilow? Hello? That was definitely for Debi (and I am a closet Fanilow).

Back to the simpleton question. My life was certainly simpler before school started for me on 9/2. For the record, I am in my second year of a three year master's program at BYU. I will be earning a Master's of Public Administration, which means if I play my cards right I can be like the head garbage man dude. Here is a simple way of explaining my upcoming degree, think MBA (Master's of Business Administration) designed for the not-for-profit sector. We are both part of BYU's Marriott School of Management and have similar courses and professors. The MBA focuses on for profit enterprises. The MPA focuses on government, universities, churches, charities, etc. Some examples include working in the administration of any government office, the LDS Church, BYU, the Red Cross, IHC, etc.

Wow that was boring! So here's the deal, I would like to either move into the administration at BYU or possibly work for the Church in a sector of the welfare division. I have visited Welfare Square a few times and have felt that I need to be involved in improving the lives of others(That's right, the orneryguy has actually been touched by the spirit). We have two guys in our program who work for LDS Philanthropies raising money for various projects such as providing wheelchairs to the handicapped and building wells for impoverished communitites. I want to get involved in something like that. Debi and I want to serve multiple missions and I want my work to prepare me for that while it provides for my family.

I apologize for the serious tone of this post. It was truly not intended. In fact, if this nonsense keeps up the blog may have to be cancelled.

So my accounting professor is like the world's smartest guy. Seriously, he has three PhD's, the last one in Artificial Intelligence from Carnegie-Mellon. He created an accounting teaching computer program that nearly ruined my sanity. It uses artificial intelligence to track what you are doing and predict mistakes you may make and questions you may have. It gives hints and warnings when you ask for them and it is spooky. If you are unsure of what to do, rather than clicking help and entering a word or phrase, you simply hit help and it answers the exact question in your head. I am afraid to think "do you know what I am thinking?" and hit the help key because I know the answer will come back "yes, and you better repent!" Anyway, the program is great, and I love using it, but it was the install that was terrible. My computer kept rejecting the program. Our professors son is a long-titled computer genious (read: geek) who comes to each of his fathers classes on the first day of school to help anyone who is having problems installing the program. He helped everyone who had problems but me. He spent over an hour and determined that I would have to wipe out my hard drive, re-install all programs, and lose anything that wasn't saved off-site. So, I got to rebuild my computer the first week of school. Nothing like a little added pressure.

This post is already too long and tragically terrible. So here's the deal, (the deal? Is this guy a used car salesman or what?) if you would like another sardonically delicious attack on something like people who chew with their mouths open and kick the back of my seat in the movie theater, stupid people, (you know who they are, and so do I, so why don't they know who they are) or whether the comma should be after the phrase or the comment in the parentheses after the phrase, (I am pretty sure I have screwed that up. Twelve years earning an English degree shot to ....) let me know. I crave comments. Especially sardonic ones.

Oh yeah, if you are all good little commenter's, I will tell you the story about Edward Paul Horwinski and the Great Pizza Mystery or possibly the one about how Johnny Got Hit in the Head by a Flying Frozen Turkey. Make a request!

Oh, and did I see Ryan McQuivey at the BYU/UCLA game? Go COUGARS!!!

5 comments:

Crazy Lees said...

For anyone who wants to know why Scott would even post the picture...He has done the dishes 3 times in the last day for me...Can you imagine why he might have done that?
I am proud of you sweetie...Keep hangin in there...Ruff you! I really really "Ruff" you...That is my hidden humor for the day!

Jen (Maddie Lou Beanies) said...

Yes that was Ryan at the game, we drove all the way up just so he could take Dallin. Was it worth it? About the picture, Ryan does the dishes everytime, I don't know if I would say the act of a man doing the dishes is a turn on, but the fact that he is willing to help out and bear some of the everyday burdens is.

Stephanie said...

Show those dishes, who the man is!

I am sitting here quite shocked by your post.

I didn't know you had charity in that cold black heart of yours.....you want to serve people?

Charity begins at home. You have always been so charitable to me growing up.......(Cough)(cough)(bullcrappy)

I am glad to see that Debi is getting through to you! Coal!

I would love to make some story requests........I don't know anything about the mystery pizza, and I also would love to hear your version of the pant-leg-shut-in-Blazer-story.

In case you might feel bad.........I love ya!

MAKIN' MEMORIES said...

You are a crazy man! I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. You are truely an 80's dude, but that's ok; being yourself is what it's all about.

Doing the dishes and many other household chores will get you a long way with the little lady! Nothing is sexier than a man being domestic!

Kristy said...

HA! I hate when Walt does the dishes. On the outside, I thank him and it really does help, but it so does not turn me on. In order for that to happen, I have to feel put together, and since he only does the dishes when they are stacked sky high, I only end up feeling guilty because I slacked off for the day.

Anyway, yeah, tell us some stories.